Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

The end draws near


The past few days I’ve been saying good byes to various people in my communities and school.  People having been asking me for weeks how I feel about leaving and I, being the mature and well-adjusted adult that I am, had been refusing to process it.  I mean how can you?  Most people never have to say good bye to someone you’ve built a close relationship knowing that you’ll most likely never see them again.  The closest (and most morbid) analogy is saying good bye to someone on their deathbed.  Needless to say, it’s emotional.  For the past 2 years, these people have been my friends and acting parental figures and this village has been my home.  I even have “COS goggles” (Peace Corps’ version of graduation goggles) for going hours without electricity and water.  I’m just glad I have exciting travels lined up or I would be a mess.

Anyway, the good byes.  My counterparts are kind of mad at me.  I know they wanted to throw big going away parties for me with food, speeches and gifts but that really isn’t my scene.  I prefer just slipping out unnoticed and letting the world move on.  Of course, that’d be a cultural faux pas so I’m reaching for middle ground.  Last week, I casually let it slip that this week was my last week.  Now I’m calling everyone and arranging private good bye hangouts.  It's been working pretty well.  Here is a foto of my students and I:

Yes, in the boonies my class has 9 students
Also, I lied.  I thought I had a free weekend but tomorrow I'm going back to Managua.  The entire business program (my group, 56, plus 59 and 61) is meeting up for a training.  We're going to start planning the business plan competition series.  Obviously, I won't be there when it rolls around but they would like to hear my advice.  Bonus, it's on the beach so I'm pretty excited.  Expect another post Sunday or Monday!

1 comment:

  1. The best part of the blog post is the photo where only you are smiling. Yeah, yeah, yeah it's totally a cultural thing... :p

    ReplyDelete