Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Just another Thursday



I’ll be the first to admit that my geography knowledge isn’t great but I’m pretty sure the Costa Rica is not on the African Continent.  That confusion stems from “Africa Mia” a safari type zoo here in Liberia.  There are a lot of things that can get on my nerves in other countries (customs, traditions, the lack of climate control), but one thing I love is the tranquilo or “make it work” type philosophy.  For example, we’ve all been to zoos in the past, right?  How many times have you gone to your favorite exhibit and the animal is sleeping or just plain not there?  That is completely unacceptable at Africa Mia.  They promised us up close and personal encounters with wild beasts and that’s what you’re going to get.  If the animal is grazing on the other side of vast fields, the zookeepers inconvenience the animals and herd them over to us for our enjoyment.

Did you know they are black with white stripes?

Hungry giraffe!

Ostriche's eyeballs are bigger than their brains

I honestly don't remember what this thing is...

Pumba!  Hakuna matata!

Chicken with a bad hair day?

Antelope?

I look alarmingly lovestruck...

All of these animals seemed quite happy and well fed.  Plus they weren’t in cages; they had acres of open space to roam around and interact.  I also feel the need to say that most of those photos were taken without a zoom.  I was up close and feeding them, SO COOL!

But my day wasn’t over, not by a long shot!  I also made the trek here:

Waterfall!

Tired but happy Pedro

Overall, it was a great day.  How was your Thursday?

No comments:

Post a Comment