Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Little Corn Island



For those of you interested in my post Peace Corps travels, I’m currently on Little Corn Island.  The smaller and more remote brother of Big Corn Island is 40+ miles off the coast of Nicaragua.  How little is Little Corn?  Less than 3 square miles.  How do you get there?  Easy:

Take an hour flight on a single propeller plane

Take hour ride on an uncovered boat
Wheelbarrow your stuff through the jungle

We are currently at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, easily the nicest place on the island.  Since we’re on an underdeveloped island in the middle of the Atlantic, water and electricity are intermittent (but they do have satellite internet, yay!)  But that hasn’t stopped us from living the high life.  In the past 24 hours, I’ve gone kayaking and eaten a BBQ bacon cheeseburger, fish tacos, coconut pancakes and surf ‘n turf (filet minion and lobster tail).  Some of the best food I’ve eating anywhere much less in the middle of nowhere.

One more day here and then I head back to Managua (please don’t make me go, it’s paradise here!).

Mateo and I with our new friends Brit and EJ

It feels good to be the king!

No comments:

Post a Comment