Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sticking it to the man


So yesterday I was taking the bus home from work on a route I’ve been dozens of times.  A month ago, Nicaragua raised the rates on all public transportation (which means now I have even less discretionary funds if you can believe it).  Anyway, this guy collecting the money tried to charge me 12 Córdobas instead of 10.  While a difference of $0.07 may not mean much to you dear followers, it’s the principle that bothers me.  Regularly, people try to take advantage of me by giving me the white man’s price and who can blame them?  I’d do the same thing.  Unfortunately if EVERYONE got away with that, I wouldn’t have enough to live off.

Back to the story, I put up a fight.  Publicly to boot.  I told the bus worker (and everyone that could hear me) that I’ve lived in Nicaragua for over 11 months, I’m a volunteer and I took a different bus traveling the EXACT same distance THIS VERY MORNING and it was 10 Córdobas.  As I expected, it made no difference and he didn’t budge but at least I feel better about myself.  Getting kicked off the bus in the wilderness didn’t sound like a fun afternoon (reminder, I was traveling with a bacterial infection and parasites) so I paid the man.  BUT instead of giving him the 2 Córdoba coins he asked for, I reached into the back of my wallet and gave him a 500 Córdoba note.  This is about the most culturally unacceptable thing that one could possibly do.  First of all, it really discredits my claim that I’m a volunteer.  But secondly, and more importantly, NO ONE EVER has change.  In the States, this is the equivalent of going to a gas station and buying a stick of gum with a $100 bill.  So bus dude give me a look of disgust and an exasperated sigh and returns to the front of the bus.  Even funnier, one passenger who was enjoying this confrontation, OFFERED ME the 2 Córdobas to pay for my fair.  I told him no, I want the bus employee to try to find change.  And sure enough, after 10 minutes of frantic searching, Mr. Bus Fair Collector returns with two 200 notes, a 50 note, a 20 note, a 10 note and 8 coins.  I thanked him and sat down with the nice passenger that offered me money and had a lovely conversation about my work.

You win again, Nicaragua…Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment