Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Holy Week Adventures


Wednesday I decided to return to my training town to see my old host family and spend some time with friends.  Apparently all of Nicaragua had the same idea because I traveled on some of the most crowded buses I’ve ever seen.  Exactly how crowded?  Well, I had to stand for over 3 hours until I reached Managua.  Unfortunately, that simple explanation hardly does it justice.  Click on the following picture.
Hanging off the bus action shot

Looking closely, I’m sure you’re asking “Pedro, that bus and trees in the background look blurry.  Why is that?”  Well dear readers, it’s because the bus I was on was IN MOTION.  Yup, the bus was so full that my only option was to hold on for dear life to a ladder on the back of the bus (with 5 other guys).  Which turned out to be a smart decision, there was a pickpocket on the bus.  We had to pull over for 5 minutes while the police arrested him.

Finally I arrived safe and sound in the department of the Masaya.  To celebrate my recent birthday Jadder, his cousins and I went to the pool and drank some beers.  Afterwards Jadder, I and his sisters Estefani and Irma played some fiercely competitive games of Uno.

Good Friday we went to the next town over to eat ice cream and watch the festivities.  For Viernes Santo, the town was reenacting the final hours of Jesus' life.  I think pictures can describe it far better than my choice words…
Irma and Jadder

Irma, Jadder and girlfriend Katerin

Cultural integration, check!

There were hundred of people running around...

Wearing masks and dragging chains

They paraded around the church and park

The only communality were the hats

All ages participated

They would drag people with the chains

Jesus carrying his cross

Should add it was 95 degrees during this

I guess it wasn't completely accurate...

My favorite photo

Being dragged through the streets

I thought the Romans were a nice touch

Parade float
Que guapo, no?

After my successful dinner preparation of scrambled eggs on my birthday, I tried my hand at Nica food.  I made tajadas (thinly sliced plantains friend in oil).
Chef Pedro

Gallo pinto, tajadas, avacado, tomatoes and onions

Passed my cooking exam!

Salud!

Saturday I woke up early and headed back up to Esteli to meet up with 5 other PCVs from my group.  Ate at a pretty good hamburger joint and, of course, no night is compete without some late night discoing.

Easter Sunday was a bit disappointing because I/the family did nothing special or religious.  I did give the hermanos some Peeps which they devoured with a high level of enthusiasm.  Back to work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment