Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Family Blogging III


Pedro: This post brings us to Tuesday morning when the men voted The Madre off the island…Or she just didn’t want to go on a 2 day hike and sleep in the woods, same difference.  Therefore, we split up.  Dad and I started our trek on an Inca trail while Mom wept in the hotel room from loneliness (or so I imagine).

Donna:  Where do you get these crazy notions from (maybe something from your father’s side of the family)?  I enjoyed the serenity of the room and slept in, then had a leisurely breakfast and set out sightseeing on my own – saw two more lovely churches with benefit of audioguides.  For a late lunch I went to an organic food restaurant that you guys wouldn’t have appreciated but that I really enjoyed.  I got to sit at a small table on their balcony and do some leisurely people-watching.  Then I stopped in Cusco’s main plaza to enjoy the warm sunny weather and watch the parades/cultural demonstrations that happened to be taking place.  Sure, it would have been nice to have someone to hang around with but I have to say that I managed to have a very nice day without you.   

Pedro: Meanwhile, Dad and I started hiking just outside of Cusco.  It was the most spellbinding and captivating trek that I could have possibly imagined.  We walked for 11 hours and saw NO ONE else beside 4 Inca Highland people that live in the mountains.  After 15 kilometers and a short lunch break, we arrived in the ruins of Huchuy Qosqo.  A quick dinner and a fun card game later, we all hit the sack 9:30pm.  Oh, and who were the 3 other people we were hiking with?  A brother and sister from Glen Ellyn and a girl that was born in Wheaton!  We traveled 3000+ miles to hike in the middle of nowhere with other residents from DuPage County!

Starting our hike

Getting pretty high up

Pedro the Explorer!

Pops and I

Trekking through mountains

Daddyo!

At 4400 meters above sea level!

Into the canyon

Dad kept up with the young whippersnappers!

Inca ruins

Inca house
Ant sized dad

Hiking back down

Dad pondering into the distance


Thanks for all the positive feedback we’ve been receiving and check back tomorrow for pictures of MACHU PICCHU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment