Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Nica Beliefs


Although I’m a mere 5 hours from the Chi City, I am constantly reminded of the differences between our two cultures.  Your honor, I present exhibit A and B.

Temperature related beliefs: the changes between hot and cold will make you sick.  For example, when I moved up here from Managua in July, my host mother asked if I wanted her to warm up water before I bathe.  I laughed it off and told her it will be refreshing to take a cold shower.  I JUST found out that she asked that because since where I currently reside is colder than Managua, I would get ill from taking an even colder shower.  To this day, she claims I was sneezing for my first couple days here from taking a cold shower but I don’t buy it.  This extends to all aspects of their life – on a hot day you should drink warm coffee because cold water will make you sick.  Don’t walk barefoot in the house; the cold floor on your warm feet will harm you.  My host mom is still appalled that I will shower at night after playing soccer.

Mal de ojo: now this one may be hard to follow but bear with me.  Newborns (3 months or less) are susceptible to…direct eye contact.  Yes, if you look a baby in the eyes, it will get sick.  I’m serious.  Babies wear a red bracelet with 2 beads on it to warn people not to stare into their eyes.  Of course this does on occasion happen but gracias a dios, there is a cure!  Well two actually, which makes this even harder to believe.  One option is to run around your house 3 times and then wrap the baby in your clothes.  The other equally interesting option is that if you look the baby in the eyes you should swish moonshine and herbs in your mouth and spit it on the newborn.

Now before we get all judgmental, remember that you Americans do crazy things too (I said “you” Americans because I don’t participate in these superstitions). Nicaraguans have never heard of “knock on wood” or “making wishes at 11:11” so I think it’s time to call in the Mythbusters!

No comments:

Post a Comment