Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

No Reservations Part III

For the 1 or 2 of you that aren’t living and breathing on my every word, the past two days I’ve been providing my own input on a Travel Channel show about Nicaragua.  Here’s the link:


  • Cuzusa – never heard of it but really wanna try it now 
  • Chicharones – very popular and delicious. 
  • Pelibuey – usually only gets busted out for special occasions.  Have yet to try it; I may just have to buy one and raise it in my back yard. 
  • PLANTANO MORDURO AND CUAJADA!  I cannot even BEGIN to tell you how often I eat plantains and cheese.  Fresh cuajada is ok, at least better than normal Nicaraguan cheese.  Cuajada is more suave and queso normal is more crumbly.  Neither really has any flavor except salt.  Sometimes they’ll fry the cheese too.
  • Never heard of morongo, but looks yummy/scary.
  • “Everyone who comes to Esteli stays here”.  I love Esteli, but I’m not about to move in.  And yes, EVERYONE is related.  In Spanish culture, it’s normal to have two first and two last names.  Also the wife’s last name doesn’t change upon marriage.  When a child is born, it receives the first last name of the father followed by the first last name of the mother.  In short, all last names are generally just generational variations.  In fact, it’s not uncommon to even see someone with a identical last names (example a boy named Juan Maria Lopez Lopez).

Well I hope you enjoyed learning about Nicaragua.  Come visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment