Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

No Reservations Part I

Before I came to Nicaragua in May, I watched an episode of “No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain”.  Lucky for me, the show was about Nicaragua!  Here’s part one:


 I’m gonna take you through minute by minute of how “correct” everything is.  It’s 15 minutes but actually quite informative.
  • First off, were the issues involving Nicaragua that popular back in the 80s?  Cause I sure didn’t know about it after I accepted my invitation.  I was more along the lines of “Where is Nicaragua?”
  • That is a fairly nice taxi.  I’ve ridden in much shadier editions.  And yes, I think 7 of us did take a taxi to Burger King once…
  • I have never seen nor heard of drag races in Managua (but would love to attend one…).  Maybe I don’t hang with the right crowd.   Tony and his Nicas are drinking Tonas, one of two popular brews.
  • I have only eaten one cheeseburger in Nicaragua and it was definitely not at some sketchy street vendor.
  • Marcado Mayoreo!  I have been there countless times.  At 6:46, you can actually see the signs for the “buses expresos” that I take to Somoto, Ocotal or Jalapa.  Very accurate but I don’t know where he ate at, and regardless, would never eat there.  It's usually very crowed and dirty.  In that scene, the yellow things that they’re eating and didn’t mention are tajadas (thinly sliced fried banana chips which I eat nearly every day).
  • At 10:09, they’re eating vaho (my favorite Nica dish because it actually included fruits and vegetables).  No idea where that restaurant is but I’m gonna search for it. 
  • La chureca.  I have never been there because it is dangerous (as Tony later mentions) but from what I’ve heard, it’s very VERY real.  My soul hurts every time I watch that scene.
  • In the last scene, Tony is drinking Caballito.  It is below bottom shelf rum; a half liter costing around $1.  A while back, a batch was accidentally mixed with methane and killed some people and caused blindness in others.  Needless to say, I’ve never touched the stuff.
If you want to get a head start on tomorrow's analysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4eS52aWUks

No comments:

Post a Comment