Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I DID IT!


What on earth could get me so excited?  Meat for dinner or the temperature dropped below 70 for once?  Nope.  I finished reading “The Fellowship of the Ring”…IN SPANISH!  Yeah, that’s right.  I’m a huge nerd.  It was easier than I thought it would be.  One issue was it was translated into Castellano Spanish (Spain Spanish) which is certainly not what they speak here.  So I ran into a lot of strange verb forms that I’ve never used.  Also, I didn’t bother looking up words.  Sure there were whole paragraphs that after I read them I had zero understanding.  But hey, it’s the learning process, right?  Having watched the movie and reading it before in English allowed me to fill in the giant gaps that is my prowess of the Spanish language

Now onto something completely different – “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”.  In English.  Thanks Michelle!

On a similar note and perhaps a huge generalization, Nicaraguans don’t read much.  My host dad used to read the paper and every once in a while I’ll see someone reading a book on the bus.  I asked my host mom if she ever reads for pleasure and said no.  She said she read “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” but other than that, never.  I just find it strange that in a small town in rural Nicaragua, there isn’t much to do – no bowling, movie theater, discoteca, nada.  We do, however, have a public library and a highschool library.  Abet, it’s a very limited selection but reading is way more fun than watching beans grow…

No comments:

Post a Comment