Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

One week till school!


Yes, I’m kinda excited for school to start.  Even though at least two of my teachers with experience got switched so I have to start ALL OVER in one of my schools.  But all of this didn’t stop me from having quite the weekend.

Friday I went to Esteli.  I chaperoned these two girls from my town to a leadership camp that the Peace Corps was putting on.  After I dropped them off, went to the grocery store (yogurt, M&Ms, raisins and a bottle of wine – the snacks of champions) and then went to a happy hour at a Chinese restaurant.  Then I had a lovely dinner at a Cuban eatery before going to CIGARS ZONE.  Perhaps my new favorite place on earth.  Now, I consider myself an aspiring expert of discotecas merely on the fact that I’ve visited dozens on multiple continents.  Here, in nowhereville northern Nicaragua is a warehouse sized disco which was like stepping into Miami.  The whole building was air-conditioned (there are no other buildings that size that are air-conditioned here…), multiple stages and VIP rooms.  Great night.

Sweet Home Esteli

Greg, Kelli and I ate the Cuban place

 Saturday morning we took a bus to go to the Somoto Canyon.  Only about 30 minutes from my site, I had not yet visited it.  And let me tell you, BEAUTIFUL.  We hiked down into the canyon and when we ran out of room to hike, we swam through the canyon for a couple hundred meters.

Sunday was, of course, the Superbowl!  A bar traditionally hosts a large party for PCVs in Ocotal (45 minutes north of where I live).  It was a great turnout – 50 volunteers coming from all 5 sectors.  We watched the game on a projection screen.  The only downside was that it was being broadcasted on ESPN Deportes which clearly lacks the fun American commercials.

Meeting with the superintendent and principal about school year planning, tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment