Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Only 1 more month of training!


If you can’t tell, training has gotten me a little stir crazy.  A month from today, I’ll be in Managua swearing to protect the United States of America from all enemies foreign and domestic (or at least that’s how it’ll happen in my head).

But the real news.  I found out my site so drumroll please.  I will be spending the next two years of my life in…

PALACAGÜINA!  What does that mean?  I’m not quite sure.  This is when you, my useful followers, come in handy.  If you have spare time please investigate and report back with Palacagüina is the greatest place ever (or lie to me because I’m spending the next 2 years of my life there regardless).  On Monday, I’m going to meet the Nica teachers that I’ll be working with and then going to Palacagüina for a couple days.  Hopefully then I’ll have more information to report on my work.

Right now the fiestas patronles are going one here in Nandasmo and do I ever have stories to tell.  But that’s for next post!

Hasta pronto,
Pedro

2 comments:

  1. Town on the skirts of the hill
    The name of Palacagüina in old chorotegano means "Town on the skirts of the hill", of the Nahuatlacas words Pal that means "Slope or skirt", Apan adverb of "Place" and Güina that means "Town or people".

    This municipality belongs to the department of Madriz, located 25 kilometers south-east of the departmental capital of Somoto, has a territorial extension of 162 km², with a population of 11.843 inhabitants, 168 km to the north of capital Managua of Nicaragua.

    Agriculture is the populations main activity, producing basic grains and other vegetables. A Minority work with handicrafts.

    Nearest Airport: Jinotega Airport (distanced approximately 63 km)

    11 Pictures (pretty good summary, check out #9):
    http://www.nicaraguaenfotos.com/?seccion=2&menu=ft&cat=Madriz&subcat=Palacag%FCina&clave=NI12994727625950&pagina=1&len=en

    A brief youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNnSdPldro4

    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boom love it. When are you coming to visit?

    ReplyDelete