Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

25% through training!


Check it, followers.  I have successfully survived 3 weeks in Nandasmo.  Word up.  Updates from this week:

Aggies: is the term that we use to refer to our fellow beloved (and all around inferior) agriculture trainees.  After apparently too much bragging about the excitement of financial statements, us business folk were invited to spend a day with the aggies.  All 42 of us met up in the campo to cook or make products.  I (successfully I should add) made organic cough syrup, antifungal soap, grinded up a plant named marango (look it up, it may be the healthiest thing ever) and bean fudge (surprisingly delicious).  Other concoctions were grinding and making chocolate, corn porridge and a fermented tropical fruit wine.  It was a great time.  Almost as much fun as it will be to torture the aggies with the intricacies of statements of cash flows.

Youths: so our youth group finally decided on business for the business plan competition.  The simplest way to describe it is remember back to elementary school?  Did you ever do an art project where you got a sheet of aluminum and you made a raised design on it by pressing on one side?  Well that’s pretty much it except they actually have talent unlike my uncoordinated 8 year old self.  Besides just trying to sell it as artwork, we are going to use it for labels on products looking to differentiate.  It’s a really creative idea which is important if we’re going to win.  The problem is, it’s not taking advantage of the natural resources of Nandasmo and it’s particularly sustainable.  So what we will probably do is make mango candles (there are so many mangos in our town people give them away by the bushel) and put the candle in a used cut off 2 liter plastic coke bottle and affix our label.  I’ll keep you posted!

Awkwardness: well it finally happened.  I’m actually surprised it took this long.  If you’re a regular reader of my (mis)adventures, you’ll know that we don’t always have running water.  Sporadically, they turn it off for hours at a time.  So yesterday I took the gamble and showered in the late afternoon.  I got wet, turned off the shower to lather up and turned on the water to rinse and nada.  No more agua para Pedro.  So after a strange conversation with my host family, they were nice enough to bring me their reserve water so I didn’t have to spend the rest of my day with shampoo.

That’s it for this week.  Thanks for all the kind words and support that has gotten me this far.  Many more adventures to come!


-Pedro the Explorer

No comments:

Post a Comment