Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Week 6

This week I had my site interview with my peace corps bosses.  Last week, we found out the 20 available sites where us future volunteers could potentially live for the next 2 years.  There’s some great sites like big cities (Matagalpa, Esteli, Rivas, Diriamba etc) and some places that get me a little scared like RAAS (waaaaaay out east) and a couple towns of less than 2000 people.  I’ll find out my site on the 28th, SO EXCITED!  Of course to build the already palpable excitement we are creating brackets to try to guess where everyone is going.  This has gotten so intense that people are now keeping their picks secret or giving false information to try to screw up other’s brackets so I literally have NO idea where everyone (including me) will end up.

Today my papa was laughing and I asked him what’s up?  He said that my sister, Alondra, told him for reasons unknown to me, “Papa, ahora Pedro no me da pena” aka she’s finally not scared of me.  Community integration, check!

My trainee group and awesome language teacher, Gloria, spent an afternoon wandering around Jinotepe a bigger city 50 minutes away.  Highlight of the excursion was eating a late lunch at, of all places, Terry’s diner.  Yes, we threw adapting to local cultural out window for cheeseburgers, omelets and ham sandwiches.  It was some of the best food I’ve eaten in weeks.  Of course we had to meet the owner, shockingly enough named Terry.  Great guy.  He even offered us free internet and calls to the States if we come back so you can bet my gallo pinto that I’ll become a regular.  As the tradition continues, after eating food that was not prepared by my dependable mama, I got sick.  It’s nothing awful but annoying enough that tomorrow I’m going to the lab to get checked out.  I’ve lost some weight which is strange because I’m eating a disturbing quality of food.  How disturbing?  Our family of 5 (which includes a 10 and 3 year old and a father that doesn’t eat lunch at home) is going through approximately 50 pounds of rice a month.  So a rough estimate is that I’m eating 15-20lbs/month or 4-5lbs/week or OVER .5 POUND of RICE EVERY DAY.  Add to that the staples of bread and beans and it equals what should be an overweight Pedro.  Granted I am sweating whatever the metric equivalent of a gallon is per day plus walking and jogging so maybe I’m overthinking my current state.  Whatever, I’ll keep you posted!


Tomorrow our youth group and we are going around our community conducting a market study about our product.  If you’re looking for an artsy new vase/candle holder made from recycled glass affixed with art, let me know!

Adio(s)! (nicas don’t pronounce the ‘s’ at the end of words and yes it’s very confusing)
-Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment