Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Profe Pedro


So what I gathered from my friends who are education majors, becoming a secondary education teacher is difficult.  You need to take two years of education classes, write papers, complete projects, do countless lesson plans spend a semester observing a class and finally, after more than 3 years of hard work, you can student teach.  Thus is NOT the case with the Peace Corps.  I read a notebook, observed two classes, planed a lesson with a Nica maestro (who, by the way, does NOT even teach business) and taught my first class in a total time of less than four weeks.  Boom, take that edu majors.  May I remind you, in the ol USA my educational background does not even qualify me to teach phys ed (I took Schools and Schooling in American Society in college and decided that business major have way more fun).  Today, I co-taught my first class (withOUT the help of a Nica profe)!  It was just a fellow trainee, Kate, me, and 55 lucky Nicas who had NEVER taken a business class in their lives.  In an hour and a half, we covered what entrepreneurship is, what the characteristics of entrepreneurs are, who the entrepreneurs in Nandasmo are, and topped it off with a little bit of what leadership is.  I wish there was a more professional way to say this, but we rocked that perra.  The estudiantes laughed at my jokes while we played hangman and participated when we discussed the importance of resources and opportunities for aspiring entrepreneurs.  Did I mention that the whole class was conducted in Spanish?  Nica, you may have gotten me ill and stolen my wallet but dammit, I enjoy teaching.

Of course there’s never success without some setbacks.  Our youth group meeting today totally flopped.  We’re meeting again in two days to finalize our product or scrap it and go with something else.  On the bright side, one of our youths made all of us hand painted yo-yos!  Tomorrow we’re giving a charla to our fellow trainees about market studies, wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment