Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fiestas Patronles


Fiestas Patronales

So because Central America is unofficially 100% Catholic, EVERY city in Nica has a saint that they associate themselves with.  Additionally, every town takes two time twice a year (one in winter and the other in summer) to celebrate their heritage.  They do this in a myriad of ways.  Some are, well, a little stranger than others.  My regular follower remember that the next town over, Masatepe, had a drunk horse parade.  San Juan de Oriente had carnival games, artisan fair and (I swear I’m not making this up) a bull penis fight.  Apparently a long, long time ago, during a period of hardship, the residents of San Juan whipped themselves for God to show them mercy.  The tradition lives on.

So for Nandasmo’s fiestas patronales.  It started off, to no one’s surprise, with a dangerous quantity of fireworks.  Nicas have and unhealthy obsession for fireworks.  In fact, out in the more rural parts, they shoot off fireworks to let people know that it’s 5am, 12pm and 5pm respectively.  So Tuesday night, they attached professional grade sparklers to cardboard cut outs of bulls and ran around.  They also had a fireworks show which was decent with the highschool band playing in the background.

Wednesday was when the party got…interesting (I’m trying not to pass judgment).  Walking home from class at midday, I stopped in the central park.  In the streets circling the church and central park was literally what they called una bomba.  It was a quarter mile of incendiary line and every meter attached was an M-80 (a VERY loud firecracker).  After mass concluded, they lit it.  I must admit I was impressed.  For two minutes, I watched a trail of fire weave its way through the streets with near constant explosions.

At 5pm began the corrida del pato.  Note, this section is graphic and contains material not fit for PETA supporters.  That being said, I’m sure you’re wondering what’s a corrida del pato.  Simple really.  You take a LIVE duck, tie its feet together and connect it to a rope so the duck is dangling upside-down.  Then you take turns running at the duck and…(I seriously suggest you stop reading…) grab its neck in an effort to rip its head off.  I’ve attached some fotos but won’t upload the video.

Stringing the duck up.  Notice the headless duck in the background.
I don't think this picture needs a caption
Pobre pato...
 
What makes this ALMOST comical was that literally on the other side of the park was a puppet/magic show going on for the children.

Much more wholesome

At 7pm began the bailes folkloricos.  For two hours there was a string of groups doing traditional dances and playing Nica music.

Pretty cool

Along this topic, my Nica friends invited three of us to learn folklore dances.  Seeing as I never miss a chance to publically embarrass myself, I accepted.  The best way I can describe it is that it was like ballet.  Arms straight and parallel to the ground with a lot of complicated footwork.  Yes I was awful but it was fun regardless.
Thursday, a symphony from Managua came and performed in the church.  I kinda felt bad for them because they were a talented group, but were forced to play tacky songs (“Plink Plank Plunk” and “It’s a Wonderful World”) because no one in our town had listened to classical music before.

There’s more parties tonight and I’ve heard a rumor that karaoke may be the main event.  Listen closely and you may hear my rousing rendition of “God Bless the USA”.  Like always, I’ll keep ya posted!

Salud, dinero, amor y tiempo para desfrutarlos,
Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment