Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Last week as a trainee!

Yup you read correctly.  This week I join the ranks as a Peace Corps VOLUNTEER.  Cool things that I’m doing:

Moving out of Nandasmo today into a HOTEL.  Real bed, internet and possibly hot water here I come!

Meeting the ambassador!  Maybe.  Rumor has it his term is ending now-ish.  So we may just be meeting the vice ambassador.  Either way, cool.

Having a going away party.  My Nica friends threw me a little going away party.  Super nice of them.  I think I’m actually going to be sad to say good bye to Nandasmo and its lack of indoor plumbing.

Jadder, Irma y yo!

SWEARING IN!  Or as those of us who did greek life call it, initiation (hopefully without the hell week and hazing…).  Friday morning I have to take an oath to swear to protect the United States from all enemies both foreign and domestic.  Kidding, here’s the actual oath:

“In the name of God and for the understanding and friendship among people and Nations, I solemnly promise to work with dedication and enthusiasm in the tasks that are assigned to me, during two years, or during the time that I may stay in the country.
I promise to strive to secure bonds of affection and solidarity with the Nicaraguan people through mutual respect and sincere vocation of service.
For God, for Country, for Peace.”

Pretty cool huh?  It also happens to be the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corps so there will be much celebration to be had.


-Almost PCV Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment