Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Shout outs!


I’ve decided that if you’re kind enough to send me something, then you deserve the recognition that only a free blog read regularly by less than 20 people can provide.  This edition’s winners are Michelle (TWO packages and so much mail that several trainees are beginning to feel unloved), a postcard from Moylan and Co. (the president and CEO is a close and personal friend of mine) and last, but not least, Congressman Peter J. Roskam!  So back in the end of March, I shot Representative Roskam an email about the Peace Corps and the possible government shutdown.  Although his aide did give me helpful tips for visiting DC, Mr. Roskam did not reply…till now.  He sent me a nice letter AND signed it.  Bonus points.  Of course he lost points because I’m sure he didn’t have to spend the 98 cents for postage.  Anyway, thanks guys!

Tomorrow (on the 4th of July, yuck) I’m going to Managua to meet my counterpart for the first time!  I’m excited and nervous.  My counterpart is the principal of one of the four highschools that I will be coteaching at.  After chitchatting and going over my resume (in Spanish, impressed yet?) we’ll make the trek up to Palacaguina.  I’m going to spend several days learning the lay of the land and beginning my assimilation to Nica culture part II.  So most likely, I won’t make it a cyber for a week or so.

Happy 4th!  Drink a Budweiser, wave a flag and get a good chant of U.S.A. going for me!

Pedro “I’d sell a kidney for a bratwurst right now” Stephan

No comments:

Post a Comment