Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

July Adventures


Sorry for the absence my fond followers.  I just returned from site visit!  Before I share that exciting information, I’d be remised if didn’t brag about my 3rd of July.

It could not have more different from Chicago.  No fireworks, no national anthem, no baseball, and no barbeque.  I awoke (like many days) to the THUNDEROUS sound of rain against my zinc roof.  This was significant today because it officially canceled our plans to picnic at the Lagoon.  So what’s our super awesome backup celebration plan you ask?  Coffee shop.  Yes, I realize it sounds incredibly lame but stick with me for a minute.  About a dozen of us made the trek two towns over to go to visit this coffee shop.  I, as you can guess, was not excited.  Mainly because I had my heart set on the Lagoon and was disappointed in the Nica Rain God.  But as soon as I got there, my mood shot up.  This place was bomb legit.  What does that mean?  In the words of The Graduate, “Plastics” baby, “Plastics”.  They accepted both Visa and Mastercard.  Why was this like Christmas coming six months early?  Many places “claim” to accept credit cards but few actually do.  Seeing as this site was one of the lucky few, I went big.  How big?  In one sitting I ate, a large steak panini with pesto and REAL cheese, an entree sized chicken salad with mixed greens and tomatoes and two Heinekens.  And the best part, guess the cost.  Wrong, lower.  Guess again.  Closer, but still too high.  LESS than $14.  I love this country.  Thanks mom for picking up the bill!

I ducked out early to catch the semifinal of Nandasmo vs Jinotega (capital city way up north).  It was another GREAT game.  In the opening 10 minutes, Nandasmo was being way outplayed and got called for a penalty kick.  Jinotega scored so we were down early.  Then, everything changed.  The first breakaway Nandasmo got, we capitalized.  So then at 1-1, a Jinotega player threw an elbow in the face of a Nandasmo player.  Boom, red carded and ejected.  With a man down, Nandasmo beat them senseless.  The game finished 3-1 and again out sleepy little pueblo erupted into jubilation.  Part 2 of the match takes place tomorrow in Jinotega, VIVA NANDASMO!

Later that night was one of my Nica friends, Irma, birthday.  Her, my major amigo Jadder, Kate and I ate dinner at their family’s house.  It was one of those times that just seemed unreal.  Eating cake, while trying to explain greek life to my new Nica friends was just so much fun.

In my next post, I promise to write about my new site, Palacaguina, where I will be living for the next two years!  Hope everyone had a great 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment