Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Semana Santa 2013



Thought I would catch you up on my eventful week that just passed.  Tuesday, I traveled to Managua (standing for 2 of the 3.5 hours because the buses were so crowded).  After treating myself to some Subway, I met with the training staff.  I was invited to give a presentation to the new group of business trainees that landed here in early March.  The training staff wanted me to introduce the entrepreneurship curriculum that we teach in the highschool.  The new crop of future volunteers looks solid but few (only 15 when there were 21 in my group).

Wednesday I traveled to Diriamba, Carazo (where some trainees live) to give the presentation.  It went well!  So well in fact that I think I’ll be returning to train them on market study lesson planning as early as next week.  After returning to Managua, I met up with my Nica friend Jadder at his aunt’s house nearby.  He made me dinner (scrambled eggs and toast) and afterwards we walked to a local establishment and had a couple litros.  At 9:30pm when my free taxi service was about to end, I went to T.G.I.FRIDAYS!  Yes, you read correctly.  A fellow volunteer named Nishant invited me meet up with him at the most American place humanly possible.  And let me tell you, it was HEAVEN.  I was expecting an empty and sad version with rice, beans and plantains.  Nope!  It is truly a franchise and was exactly the same in the States.  Since I had already eaten dinner, I went just pass the time with Nishant and his eclectic group of friends including diplomats, World Bank employees and other NGO workers.  After learning that it was my birthday in a few short hours (or maybe taking pity on our meager earnings), they invited me to share Buffalo wings, fajitas and mozzarella sticks for FREE!  Well maybe not free.  I did have to do a birthday dance while the Fridays’ employees sang but close enough.

Thursday, after taking my forth hot shower in 2 days, I made the long journey back to site standing on the bus again.  Once home, two PCVs and a Nica friend came to celebrate my birthday.  We made chili and played UNO.

Friday, we woke up early and went to my favorite place in Nicaragua (no, not the laboratory…), the Somoto Canyon.  Since it was Holy Friday, it was PACKED!  Luckily, it was also free instead of $1.  We spent a leisurely afternoon hiking, swimming, and eating Nica junk food.

But all good things must come to an end.  Yesterday classes resumed (although attendance was about 50%).  I’ll give you some updates on my other projects soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment