Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Bad Conversation Topics

As I prepare to come back to the greatest, bestest, awesomest country in the whole wide world, I’m reminded of a couple conversation faux pas that people should try to avoid.  While I know you, my dear readers, are culturally apt and therefore, not the target audience I still think it’s worth mentioning to get the word out.

“Oh you’re in the Peace Corps.  That’s cool.  I totally thought about doing that…”

You totally thought about doing Peace Corps but…?  BUT…?  But what?  That you had a busy week and wanted to catch up on the TV shows you missed?  That you finally got Book of Mormon tickets?  Ok, I understand and that’s cool.  Switching from 2% to skim milk is something you THINK about doing.  Contributing more money into your 401(k) is something that you THINK about doing.  Dedicating 2+ years of your life helping the less fortunate in a foreign country where you don’t speak the language and living conditions are difficult all while leaving everyone and everything you know behind, is NOT something you just happen to THINK about doing.  How I feel about that is best summed up with a recent ad campaign:
I agree and love that I never have to say "I should've done the Peace Corps".

Another popular question is “Oh you’re in the Peace Corps.  That’s cool.  Do you like it?”

I’m quickly approaching my 2 year “nicaversary”.  During these past 24 months I’ve had incredible experiences that I’ll never forget and I’ve also had moments that were soul crushingly horrible.  Knowing that, how do you expect me to answer that question?  It’s the equivalent of me asking, “Hey friend who got a job right out of college, how have your past 730 days been?”  It’s impossible to answer.  And what’s worse, if we haven’t stayed in contact, there’s no way I can even begin to accurately convey how the experience has been before your eyes start glazing over after the first minute.

In short, I’m exciting to come home and catch up with long lost friends.  But please for my sake, stay away from those 2 statements!

No comments:

Post a Comment