Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

(Un)eventful weekend


Last night was the culto.  While I didn’t directly participate, I was still able to observe.  Now as someone who has grown up in Jesustown in the shadow of the Billy Graham Center, I thought I’ve experienced all that the protestant religion has to offer.  But in fear of playing the role of the Pharisees on Pentecost, this event was a little…eccentric.  For several hours people were walking around chanting, spreading holy water and speaking in tongues (in addition to the usual singing and praying).   To each their own?

Today officially begins “Standfast Part II” (a cool way the Feds say “Stay Put”).  Tomorrow are mayoral elections across the country.  While we aren’t anticipating violent protests, I’m stuck in my little city of 5000 people with no bank or supermarket for the next 5 days.  To make this even more enjoyable, the Nicaraguan government has forbid the sale of alcohol today and tomorrow.  What a bunch of wet blankets, huh?  I’ll let you know if anything exciting happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment