Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Superstitions


Sometimes, the Nicas are so warm and welcoming that I forget that they’re a TOTALLY different culture.  Where I find this the most happens to be in the field of health.  After a woman gives birth she’s supposed to stay in bed for 40 days and not eat beans or drink milk.  Why, you ask?  I still have no clue.  Perhaps better question: why is this a problem?  Well, if you read my last post about staples of Nica cuisine, you’d notice that my ONLY sources of protein are beans and cheese.  Therefore, Nica women are trying to recover from dar a luz (literally translates to “to give light” but means to give birth.) and nurse their newborns on a scarily unhealthy diet.  Now the first time I heard of this, I kinda laughed it off and was like “Oh, come on Nica, really?”  YES, REALLY.  This is not like not making a wish at 11:11 or knocking on wood.  The VAST MAJORITY of Nicas not only believe this but will be frowned upon if it isn’t followed.

Other strange health things I’ve come across involve lighting things on fire.  For severe head and tooth aches, Nicas will stick newspapers or other remedy approved items into their ears or teeth and light them on fire to “remove the excess air which is causing the pain”.  Now I try not to judge because that’s not my purpose here.  So instead, I thank God that I’m not a health Volunteer

Small Biz fo life,
Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment