Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Atypical week


Back during training, I was told that classes get canceled regularly for strange reasons.  It’s nice because everyone loves days off but frustrating when we have a mountain of material to cover in the next few short weeks.  Well the rumor was true.  On Monday, classes were canceled because of the fiestas so no one wanted to work/learn (can you imagine that in the States?  “Hey mayor, I don’t feel like working and would really prefer to drink a beer and ride the ferris wheel.  Mmk?  Thanks!”.  Thursday, there’s a big political gathering that most of the teachers are attending so guess what?  No class.  Friday offers a mandatory teacher capacitation.  Shocking, no classes!  Therefore, the students only attended class Tuesday and Wednesday this week.  What a life huh?

Well I’m not going to sit around and do nothing while I’m not allowed to do my job.  So to be “productive” I went on a hike!  In a community about 20 minutes is this cool little waterfall.  Not very impressive currently (but serving as a great example about how hot it’s been) because the waterfall lacked, of all things, water.  Anyway I’m sure it’ll be picturesque in a week or two.

The not so "water"fall

Quick shout outs to my parents and Michelle.  Both have successful mailed me packages!  The 93 degree heat (in the shade…) and occasional lack of electricity is much more bearable while reading books (thanks Michelle!) while munching on jerky (thanks mom and dad!)!  The new mail system is MUCH faster (a week and a half) and I’m a great penpal so feel free!

2 comments:

  1. pete be on the look out for a package from Jon and I... you shall enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This worries me...Yet I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete