Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Nica can’t keep me down


So I got sick, again.  Not bad or anything but the same as last time, bacterial infection.  At this point, it’s not really painful; it’s just uncomfortable and inconvenient.  I unfortunately can’t narrow it down to a cause either.  The fault lies with me though; I’m a sucker for trying new foods even when I don’t know what they are (plausible culprits of this week: mystery soy drink from a bag, cucumber that had a worm in it or ambient temperature street food!).  What I think makes this blog worthy is the touchy subject of healthcare.  First of all, my healthcare in Nica is probably the best I’ll have in my entire life.  From calling the Peace Corps with my condition all the way to confirmed diagnosis was less than 4 hours and not a dime from my pocket.  What I want to bring to your attention was the cost.  I visited a nurse at a laboratory, got analyzed and bought the medication all for $3.34.  That’s less than the standard copay in the USA and that was the TOTAL cost to ALL parties.  So food for thought: If healthcare can be affordable and accessible in a rural town of less than 5000 people in second poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, why not the United States?

Anyway, I’m feeling much better now and ready to continue fighting the good fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment