Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

New Fam & Pad

I’ve officially completed my move to my new site!  We’ll start with the family.  My host parents are Mario and Carmen.  They are super accommodating and nice.  Mario spent some time in Louisiana (a lot of people from my town move there.  No idea why.) working.  His English vocab is pretty good but I don’t think he can read, write or speak correct sentences.  Carmen works in the local highschool that I teach at but she teaches lame classes like geography instead of cool interesting entrepreneurship.  They have three kids: girl 7, Marito 2 and girl 9 months (Obviously I’m really bad with names.).  Now I feel bad saying this but I don’t really like them.  I caught one of them opening my backpack to look at stuff and they’re kinda loud and obnoxious.

The house/amenities are the major advantages.  Indoor shower (of course not hot water, don’t be crazy), flushing toilet, sink and a microwave.  The volunteer who I’m replacing (Hey Kristen, hope you made it home safe!) was kind enough to leave me all sorts of stuff: rocking chairs, fan, mattress and tuber-ware.  Also, no chickens or loud neighbors so I may actually be able to sleep without ear plugs.  Additionally, although I live on a dirt road everything seems to stay cleaner so I’m pretty excited.  I would take a picture of my room but it’s so small that I can’t really fit anything in the foto.  So here’s some fotos of the house in general:

Note MICROWAVE!

Bonito, no?


Any guesses on how much I’m paying per month for rent AND 3 square “meals” (her cooking is good it’s just that eating rice and beans is beginning to haunt my dreams) per day AND wash/dry/iron my clothes?  Seriously, guess.  Ok now cut it in half and you’re probably close.  $65.  I love Nica!

This week I’m teaching the differences between costs vs prices and profit vs income!



-Profesor Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment