Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Attitudes towards North Americans


The Nicaraguans opinions of us norteamericanos (white people) are surprisingly positive.  Why is it surprising?  Because as many of you may not know (I sure didn’t), the US and Nicaragua have had a bit of a turbulent history.  I know I’ve told the story before so here’s a pop culture reference to bring you up to speed.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrW3K6e8Ju0

Understand now?  Even though it’s been 30+ years, if Nicaraguans wanted to harbor some resentment towards the USA, I’d understand.  I have experienced very little racism in my community or with my counterparts because I’m an estadounidense.  Nearly every family in my community has someone that is working in the United States.  Additionally, a lot of people have told me that they would like to visit the USA but very few wants to move there permanently – Nicaragua is their home and it always will be.

That being said, the Nicaraguan and United States governments do not always play nice.  Nicaragua is still seeking reparations from the USA for the contra revolution in the international court.  On the other hand, United States is bothered by the way Nicaragua is usurping the democratic process.  In fact, this month the US and many EU nations are withdrawing aid programs in Nicaragua for repeated infractions during the elections.

Thanks for the recommendation, Robin!  And keep the ideas flowing the rest of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment