Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Unoffical exit interview

For Peace Corps Nicaragua's newsletter, they also have interviews with incoming and outgoing PCVs.  Here's mine.

Name: Pedro “Tan” Stephan
Site: Palacagüina, Madriz
Favorite Nica food or drink: Gallo Pinto with aguacate, fresh cuajada, ensalada and tajadas de malanga
Part of your body that will never be the same: My entire GI tract
Most creative piropo: “Voy a preguntarle algo, pero antes de hacerlo, tenes que contestarme sí…”
When were you at your most Nica I asked a bunch of missionary cheles “De donde son?”  And they responded “MINN-I-SOT-A, A STATE IN AMERICA.”  I said, “Cool, I’m from Chicago.”
Favorite thing about your site: That it’s not Nandasmo.
What did you miss most from home during your service?  Food.  And Michelle.  Maybe not in that order.
What will you miss most from Nicaragua? My D-List celebrity status.
What were you most proud of during your service? Besides surviving?  I built a well to give people access to clean drinking water for the first time in their lives.  But I think I still have to go with “surviving”.
What’s your legacy? El chele que siempre anda enfermo.
Best and/or worst memory: Coming home to find my house robbed and singing “El cristo de Palacagüina” with Daniel Ortega.  I feel that I should be clear that those were different events and did not occur in succession.
Embarrassing moment: Pooping my pants during training but my host family burned their trash so I had no choice but to throw my soiled shorts into the woods behind their house.
Craziest bus story: Boarded a bus, got sick, jumped off and vomed in front of confused Nicas, jumped back on a bus like nothing happened.
Ever want to E.T.? All the time.  You would too if you “visited the laboratory” as many times as I did…
Regrets: Eating ceviche from the park in Masaya.
Would you do it all over again?  Sure, but I also ate that ceviche so clearly my judgment is suspect.
Where will we find you in 10 years? At the 10 year Biz Na$ty 56 ski reunion.
Parting words/ advice to remaining volunteers: All Claro routers come factory set with the same password pattern: 680CFC + whatever comes after “CLARO_FC” in the SSID.  You’re welcome.

1 comment:

  1. me: Total side note, my maimed finger really hurts
    WHY DO YOU LET ME USE KNIVES?
    Peter: what did you have to cut?
    me: cheese
    Peter: hahaha
    you cut the cheese
    me: aw it's cute that you already feel comfortable making bodily function jokes after tonight's big reveal...
    Peter: how dare you!
    i posted that on the internet in confidence!

    ReplyDelete