Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Managua Observations


In an effort to try to keep up a sort of consistency with posting as the end draws near, here are some tidbits from the past couple days.

Got my language test results back and officially “Advanced – Low”. That means out of the 10 levels of fluency according to American Council of Foreign Language Teachers I’m a 7. Doesn’t sound that impressive but when you consider not speaking a lick of Spanish is a 1 and only native speakers can receive a 10, I’m in pretty good shape.

Went to Subway Sandwich in Managua and ordered a foot-long ham and turkey. Among several things I’d like to point out, it’s surprisingly popular. There’s almost always someone in line. Also, I believe they think that white people like ALL the toppings. After I pick the bread and meat (there’s only one type of cheese – provolone), the lady just started pilling on the lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers until she gets to the black olives. Now this is pure speculation, but I believe that Subway employees (and perhaps all of Nicaragua?) don’t know what olives are. Because at this point, she pauses, looks at me asked “Everything?” And then proceeds to put ONE (1) olive slice evenly spaced every 3 inches across the foot-long sandwich for a grand total of THREE (3) olive slices. I’m not sure that even equates to a whole olive?

I had some free time so I decided to catch a flick at the movie theater. Obviously I haven’t been to the movies in over a year so I decided to watch the highest rated film available at the time, Fast & Furious 6. Besides being a terrible movie, a couple Nica-things to point out. When I purchased the ticket (less than $4), the lady said the movie was in 3D. It most certainly was in 2D. Also, the theater was PITCH BLACK. You know how in the US there are commercials before the previews? Nope, just blackness AND they had the lights dimmed so I seriously had to find my assigned seat by way of my cell phone flashlight. Oh and there’s assigned seating. But the kicker that was, “Yup, definitely still in Nicaragua” was the movie didn’t start on time. So there I was, sitting in the black hole of the theater for my 12:30pm film which didn’t start the previews until 12:38.

I received the results of my second round of blood work and while everything returned normal, I definitely tested positive for dengue fever antibodies. Mystery solved! Guess I had dengue.

Wednesday I’m trying to organize my final teacher workshop. I’ll let you all know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment