Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Well Construction



There have been some updates with the well that I’m constructing.  As you all know, I applied for a grant to build a well in a rural community.  Unfortunately, the good people over in Washington don’t want to give me $2,000 until I can prove that the water is safe for human consumption.  This, unbeknownst to me until recently, presents a bit of a problem.  To extract the water to test it, you have to dig REALLY far down.  How far?  This far!

Descending into the well
Safely at the bottom

"Safety equipment"

That brings us to the issue at hand.  Standing in the bottom of a 20ft hole is a bit of a risk and I’d rather not get anyone killed.  Therefore, I made the potentially unwise decision to front a little of my own cash so they can build some walls.

Dirt excavated from the well, 2000 bricks and a creepy building


Next week I’m going back to see how the walls are!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures! Only a really nice guy would donate more than his entire month's salary to a rural Nicaraguan well...glad I nabbed a nice guy :)

    ReplyDelete