Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Music

I’ve done a lot of posts about Nicaraguan culture but I haven’t spoken much about music.  Not that music isn’t important (it is), but that it’s maybe the hardest part of assimilation to catch onto.  At least for me.  Now I know most of you don’t speak Spanish but most of these songs are pretty easy to understand the basic premise if you watch the videos.

Jesse and Joy won best both record of the year and song of the year at the 2012 Latin Grammys and I hear it ALL the time.

This is another popular song here in Nica which was nominated in the same categories.

And this is probably the most famous Nicaraguan artist.

This is probably the most popular song among my age bracket and, last time I checked, was (embarrassingly) the most played song on my iTunes.  It was in the movie Fast Five and I think based off Lonely Island's I'm on a Boat...Anyway, I see why it has 400,000,000+ hits.

Any favorite songs or someone willing to catch me up on American hits?

No comments:

Post a Comment