Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Well grant proposal


This week I’m going to submit my application to build a well in a rural community where I work.  The proposal is a two part process.  First, Ibis, the man I’m working with from the mayor’s office, wrote the application in Spanish.  He also had to track down involved parties and obtain written compromises (promises) that people will do what we asked them to.  Currently we’re working with hardware stores to get estimates on the materials (we need separate projections from at least 3 different hardware store).

Part 2 is my undertaking.  I’m filling out an excel spreadsheet for Washington with all the required facts and figures.  At the moment, it looks like the total cost of the project will be $2510.18.  But thanks to third party contributions, only $1157.73 will be coming from Washington.  I have received positive feedback from my bosses so hopefully everything will go smoothly.

In about 2 weeks I’ll be notified if my grant proposal is worthy or not.  If so, I have to create a presentation with my counterpart in Spanish.  Then we’ll go to Managua to defend the application on September 7th.  The following week I’ll find out if we’re accepted or not!  Shortly thereafter, the funds would be deposited into my account.  Unfortunately, we’re smack dab in the middle of rainy season so I think it would be unwise to start construction before November.

P.S.  Thanks for your editing help madre!

No comments:

Post a Comment