Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Padres en Nicaragua IV


Pedro:  As all great days start out, yesterday we took a morning trip to the grocery store!  Impressed by a Nicaraguan supermarket?

Madre:  Few things make a mother happier than buying food for her starving third world son.  Don’t think I didn’t notice, though, that while I was pondering the slim options in the Soups and Canned Vegetables aisle that you and your father were busy filling up our cart in the Alcoholic Beverages aisle.

Pedro:  And successful we were!  After we checked out we drove up to Condega so the padres could meet my counterparts and watch me teach a class.  Unfortunately, as is a regular occurrence, class was canceled for the day.  What did you think of the high school and my fellow teachers?
                                                                                                                                       
Madre:  Frankly, seeing the ‘bare bones’ condition of the high school was depressing.  It was really little more than a collection of simple classrooms with a teacher’s lounge, an office and a small area for sports.  I didn’t see any books, maps, computers, musical instruments, or science lab equipment and certainly no cafeteria or auditorium.  My impression was that any grade school in the US is better-equipped than the high schools here.

Pedro:  That is mostly true.  The main high school in my site does have a computer lab so conditions do vary slightly.  How were the English teachers that you spoke to?

Madre:  I thought you were trying to make me feel better when you said that my Spanish-speaking skills were better than the English teachers’ English-speaking skills but now I know that you were serious.  Ricardo, the instructor you introduced us to, was a friendly and sincere person who immediately spoke English to us to welcome us, but he clearly had problems both understanding and speaking simple phrases.  I guess that explains why very few people here speak English?

Pedro:  Exactly.  After some sightseeing and a quick lunch of tacos and cold cervezas we went from Condega to Palacaguina to unpack the food and do some organizing in my house.  So, now does my Nica casita receive a reluctant seal of approval from mother?

The parents at the shot down warplane
 
Madre:  I still think you need more Tupperware to hermetically seal everything in your kitchen and keep it away from the Speedy Gonzalez mouse family who lives with you, so don’t even let me get started about the nightmares I’m going to have about the diseases you may be getting.   However, I did feel good about the house projects you and your father worked on.

Pedro:  Dad and I installed a showerhead (the two months prior I’d been using the equivalent of a hose) and hung up my new hammock!  With the improvements complete, I took you guys around town to introduce you to friends and co-workers.  Nice people, right?

Madre:  Nice doesn’t even begin to describe it.  We met the family who runs the post office and several shopkeepers, besides your co-workers and former host family.  Everywhere we went, your friends and co-workers greeted us enthusiastically and invited us to come in and sit down to talk.  Many of them also insisted on giving us something to eat and drink or a small gift to take home.  They all spoke warmly about you and seemed genuinely happy to meet us.  The homes we visited in Palacaguina varied widely, from tiny abodes with cement walls and floors and simple furniture (uncomfortable wooden or flimsy plastic chairs) to slightly larger homes with painted walls, tile floors and upholstered furniture.  Since you kept finding people for us to meet until it was starting to get dark and we had to head back to Esteli, I’d say you’re doing a good job at the Peace Corps mission of promoting relationships between our countries.

Pedro:  It’s a rough job but somebody has to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment