Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Nica Ballin'

To help keep up my stunning physique, I’ve been playing basketball.  Usually how it works is the gringo brings his fancy first world soccer and basket balls to the city court.  Then kids of all ages come to play with me.  Generally it’s very disorganized pickup games…Until last night.

Last night I arrived to see a large amount Nicas hanging around the court.  I soon discovered there is some sort of semi organized league in full swing.  Upon seeing whitey holding a basketball, they assumed that I was good and asked me to join their team.  Of course I couldn’t say no to being idolized, so I joined.
They asked me to play “center”.  For those of you followers who are not basketball aficionados, the “center” plays in the middle and are used to get rebounds and take close range shots.  Therefore, it is advantageous to be tall.  I haven’t played center since 8th grade when I had my growth spurt but in Nicaragua, I’m a giant.
Anyways, I made America (semi)proud.  In the 12 or so minutes I played, I must have picked up 9 boards, 2 points, a handful of assists and 2 charges.  I must have played pretty well because they told me play in the game on Monday too.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment