Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Going vago


‘Vago’ in Spanish literally translates to ‘vague’.  But it also has a more idiomatic connotation of “Where the heck have you been?”  For the next undetermined amount of time, I’m going vago.  Tomorrow, I’m going to Managua to have thanksgiving dinner at the interim ambassador’s house.  According to the email, there will be a pool, free food and college football.  Needless to say, I’m excited.  That night will be spent at another super generous diplomat’s house that is letting me stay there while they’re out of town.  The diplomats have air-conditioning, wifi and told us to eat whatever is in the fridge.  Jackpot.  The next morning, the embassy is putting on a career panel about the foreign service and USAID (United States Agency of International Development) which should be interesting.
 
On Sunday we need to be in the department of Masaya for our language revaluation classes.  Since Masaya is right next to Managua, it doesn’t make much sense to drive 3 hours north only to back down 36 hours later now does it?  I didn’t think so either.  Solution: beach (as is the solution for many of the stressful questions asked of us volunteers).  Friday and Saturday night will be spent Diriamba, Carazo at a hostel on the beach.

After two days of bonfires and surfing, I will be making home base in the town of Pio XII.  Since my old training town, Nandasmo, is no longer approved for aspiring volunteers, that’s where I’ll be for the week.  Monday through Friday we will be attending language classes and the National Business Plan Competition that we’ve been organizing.  The only problem is that after language classes end Friday, Sunday night we have to be in Leon for our first in-service training.  Bum bum bum, impasse.  Do I return to the great north of Nicaragua only to 5 hour journey the next day?  Or do a bunch of volunteers find a cheap hostel with free wifi, coffee and pancakes for Friday and Sunday night in the awesome city of Leon?  No brainer on that one, Leon here I come!

In-service training is Monday and Tuesday December 6th and 7th.  As luck would have it, the 8th is supposedly a national holiday for Nicas.  Do I spend the holiday heading back to site or celebrate the holiday “trick or treating” around the colonial cathedral in the heart of Leon?  Only time will tell but I’m definitely leaning towards one of them…

So long story short, “vago” also means that I’ll probably be out of the blogosphere.  Therefore, to all of my avid followers and stalkers, have a wonderful thanksgiving and I’ll talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment