Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

1st Semester Favorite Moments


Well with the school year effectively over, I’d like to share my two favorite moments of teaching in Nicaragua thus far.

The first: I was teaching my students about variable costs.  The book example that we use are pillows so I had them list off the things you need to make pillows: cloth, string, feathers etc.  So to find the unit cost of each pillow we need to know the quantity and price of each of the components.  While I was filling in the chart on the board, I asked a student what unit size you buy feathers in.  He responded, 100% serious, “Well, it depends on the size of the chicken”.  In Nicaragua, if you want a feather you go into your back yard and take it from the chicken.  Students: 1, Professor Pedro: 0.

My other favorite classroom moment was at my rural school.  Their product for the competition was potatoes wine (no, I never tried it.  I’m disappointed too.) and I was helping them come up with a slogan for it.  What they came up with was: “Probalo y llegar al cielo” (Try it and arrive in heaven).  Unfortunately, my super advanced Spanish abilities heard: “Probalo y llegar al suelo” (Try it and hit the floor).  Clearly not a good saying for a product with alcohol so I repeated the incorrect version and received much laughter.  Students: 2, Professor Pedro: 0.

Overall, I’d consider my first semester as a highschool business teacher in a foreign language a success.  Therefore, time to celebrate!  This weekend I’m off to Ometepe (a large island in Lake Nicaragua).  It is their fiestas patronales so 7 of us are making the trip.  My hostel has been described as “colorful with a bar and pet monkeys”.  Is this real life?  Talk to you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Laughed out loud. Then read this to my parents (who also laughed). Good post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete,

    I demand a recount. How did not one of my sarcastic comments not make the top two?

    I guess I need to get motivated again.

    Sincerely,
    Management

    ReplyDelete