Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Election Day!


So today is Election Day!  All of Nicaragua is running to the nearest school to cast their vote for president.  I heard a quote: “Nicaraguan men love politics, baseball and women.  And in that order.”.  So what is my role to promote world peace during this process?  Hide.  Yes, effectively speaking, the Peace Corps has placed me under house arrest.  The most exciting and proud day of the year to be a Nicaraguan and I’m forced to stay inside watch season six of How I Met Your Mother (maybe it’s not so bad after all).  Therefore, as of now, I don’t have much to report.  I did go for a quick jog at 5pm and passed a polling center (by accident!),  There were still about 100 people waiting to cast their ballots.  No one chased after me shouting down with Yankees.  Boring, right?

Supposedly the results start being tabulated and released around 2am Monday morning.  This is when the mayhem is supposed to occur.  I’ve been told that fireworks and celebratory gun shooting in the air are common and should not be cause to worry.  Looks like a drowsy inducing Tylenol PM is in my future…

I’ll let you know the results when they’re final.  Also, the minister of education canceled class on Monday so no work for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment