Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Internets!

As you may have recently noticed, I’ve been having much more consistent and reliable internet service.  But how?  Well at one of the cyber cafes (the previously preferred method) used really strange Ethernet jacks which somehow broke my Ethernet port.  So without a hardline and the cybers not knowing their own wireless passwords, I was forced to use their computers or no internet at all.  Clearly I was not a fan of either option so I began to investigate other alternatives which led me to: Claro’s 3G broadband modem.  Claro is a major cell phone and ISP for Central and South America (and I heard the owner is now the richest man in the world?)  Since hardline telecommunication infrastructure is SO poor, cellphone bands are the preferred way to communicate.  After a little research I purchased my modem for $33.75 and got two weeks of unlimited internet.  Afterwards, the standard rate is exactly the same as the cybers’ $0.45/hour.  Luckily my host family discovered some hidden promotion that is 24 hours of internet for $0.89.

The process is simple.  All I have to do is walk a couple a couple blocks to one of the many tiny convenience stores that offer recarga services.  Then I give them a phone number and C$20 cordobas.  Done.  Unfortunately, the speed probably falls somewhere between a snail’s and a turtle’s pace (less than 256kb/s for my nerdy followers).  I can video chat and stream videos but the quality is very low.  Also generally the connection is worse at night because I'm assuming more people are using it.

So as always, feel free to call or email me and I’ll get back to you!  And happy birthday mom!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Now you can read / respond to my troll comments even quicker!

    ReplyDelete