Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Nica School System


Cousin in-law Vanessa would like to know what schools are like south of the boarder!  In a short answer, they’re similar, yet different.

Preescolar = Kindergarten?  Starts at age 3/4 and goes for 3 years.  I’ve never been to one so I don’t know what they learn/do there.  Only in the mornings for 3 or 4 hours.

Escuela Primaria = Middle school.  Ages 6/7 and lasts for 6 years.  Again no experience here.

Insituto = Highschool.  12/13 years old and is a 5 year curriculum.  This is where I work so I have a decent idea of what goes on.  The students attend either in the morning or the afternoon for a little less than 5 hours (7am-11:45 or 12:15-5pm).  Of course a borderline obnoxious amount of this time is wasted or lost by students arriving late or what have you.  Classes are in 45 minute periods.  From what I observed, the only classes that meet nearly every day are Spanish and math.  Other classes include: history, sciences, psychology/sociology, English, physical education and OTV.  This is a little embarrassing because my course is in the OTV curriculum and I really don’t know what it stands for.  Anyway, throughout the first four years of OTV students learn life skills such as word processing, self-esteem etc..  Then in fifth year comes OTV Emprendedurismo aka Entrepreneurship aka my class.

After they graduate highschool they can attend a vocational school or a university.  These are usually three or four years and offer all higher level education for everything from teachers to doctors.

This may be needless to say but I feel I should state that Nicaraguans are very intelligent.  I observed a math class during training and was expecting the students to be doing long division or something.  Instead they were graphing trigonometry functions, yuck.

Well I had a rough three day work week, off to the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment