Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

El once de septiembre

*Completely unrelated comment before the actual post begins.  The Ethernet port on my laptop broke so that’s why I’ve been out of contact for so long.  I’m currently looking into options and I’ll let you know when I have reliable internet again!

After reading an article in the NY Times about different countries remembering 9-11, I thought I would write a little about Nica.  First, I think it’s important to understand Nica’s opinion of the United States in general.  I can say that for 99% of my journeys have been well received.  Besides being referred to as gringo or chele (“whitey”), I can only remember one or two encounters where a drunk has said something insulting after I ignore him.  Additionally, Nicaragua is VERY politically charged and aware.  For my readers who are approximately my age, you may or may not know (I sure didn’t) that in the early 1980s, the United States directly funded a counterrevolution against the ruling party, which as it so happens, is currently governing today.  The CIA spent millions of dollars supplying and training anyone willing to fight.  So if there are some ill feelings between our countries it’s not exactly without a reason.

That being said, the Nicaraguans that I talked to were overwhelmingly supportive.  During my conversations, words like horrible, terrible, and my personal favorite que barbaridad! (“Oh the barbarity!”) were used regularly  There was also a lot of media coverage.  News shows actually took breaks from reporting on futbol and baseball to show the images that have forever been seared into our memories.  Another touching moment was that one of the buses that I boarded had a small American flag on the dashboard.  Not a big deal, but with Nicaragua about to celebrate their own independence day and with the turbulent history between our countries, I thought it was a great gesture of solidarity.

So as a former member of the Emergency Medical Service community and now as a sworn defender of the Constitution and People of the United States of America, I extend a heartfelt thank you to all of those, past, present and future who serve our great country.

3 comments:

  1. I am expecting more patriotic posts like these and more pictures like this while you are in Nica Pete.

    http://totalfratmove.com/571212

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sing the Nicaraguan National Anthem every week. Don't worry, I cross my fingers.

    ReplyDelete