Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Language Taller


After a pleasant 3 days and 2 nights in La Boquita (the beach in Diriamba), it was time to report to our language taller sites.  After being volunteers for 3 months, the Peace Corps invited us to attend a week long Spanish brusher upper.  Instead of returning to dear old Nandasmo, my old PCV friends and I were placed in the town of Pio XII (I still don’t know what that means).  The doce, as I soon started referring to it as, was pretty nice.  My host family was super friendly and there were a lot of nice flowers in bloom (which wreaked havoc on my allergies).  But yeah, it was 4 days of covering all the nitpicky grammar issues that have kept me from achieving fluency (hah).

Tuesday, we took a break from fine tuning Spanish to attend the National Business Plan Competition.  Overall, it was a huge success.  Twelve teams from all over the country presented their products to a panel of judges.  The winner was at from a school near me, Esteli.  Their product was a pretty much a mocha coffee drink served cold.  Not revolutionary by American standards but it sure doesn’t exist here.  It was unfortunately marred by a slight controversy; there were two verisons: virgin and with rum.  Products with alcohol are not allowed to participate so a lot of people complained about them winning.  All I can say is they gave a good presentation, the business plan was thorough and it tasted great (I of course tried the one with rum).  Hopefully one of my schools can advance to the national level next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment