Disclaimer:

This website expresses the views of Peter, who is responsible for its content, and whose views are independent of the United States Peace Corps.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Water quality results



So the fancy-pants laboratory finished the analysis of the water quality for the well that we’re digging.  And… it’s inconclusive.  The minerals, vitamins and other physical properties of the water are in great shape.  Unfortunately, they did detect trace amounts of bacteria like E coli.  So my new assignment in all of this is to become a scientist and figure out what our options are.  It looks like I going to have to meet with the national water provider (ENACAL) to see how they treat the water, the Ministry of Health to find out what the parameters are and an organization call SILAIS (no clue what they do).  In my not-quite-yet profession opinion, I believe we can chlorate the water at the source and then boil and/or filter it before human consumption.  While this does sound like a pain, I just need to remember that their current access to water is a contaminated river so this will be a noticeable improvement.

Anyway, Washington is sending me the check to continue the project!  I’m going to buy another thousand bricks and a couple bags of cement tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment